Sunday, July 13, 2014

Black and White

As our trip comes to a close it is time for reflection. Today had a speaker who showed ISI a plethora amount of perspectives about the current situation in Israel. To be blunt- I am extremely confused about my opinions towards Israel.

When I travel back to Corn Land Indiana- I am preparing myself for questions about the bombs, terrorism, and violence. Though I am not going to talk about my life, I am going to talk about the four million Israelis who are constantly in danger. I am leaving here, but they are not. It is time that I stop thinking about myself.

I wish I could relieve the minds of my friends and family about the situation of war in Israel- but I cannot- no one can. I came to Israel to help clarify my thoughts and opinions towards the Israeli and Palestinian conflict. On the contrary, the lenses that were once blurry, are now legally blind. Though I think this is good. My skepticism towards the possibility of peace have now turned into melancholy, there will never be peace. I am a human who is constantly changing my opinions. The changing of opinions is a side-effect of life, there are no white and black answers.

I apologize if I didn't write what you wanted to hear. I could have told you that this is just an episode and one day Israel and Palestine will be one. But the past and present tell us differently. Thank you Israel for giving me the opportunity to think for myself.


-Dana Brown
South Bend, Indiana

No comments:

Post a Comment