Wednesday, July 9, 2014

My Trip So Far

I have to admit, I'm a little shy when meeting new people. I'm an outgoing person however it takes a bit of time to crack my outer shell of shyness to reach my fun and sociable core.

Upon seeing my group for the first time in the newark airport, I began to wonder what to do. Should I go up and introduce myself? Should I play it safe and talk to one of the adults?

I decided to do the latter. I remember walking up to one of our group leaders, Ryan, and introducing myself. After introducing myself however I didn't have anything much to say, so for the next half an hour we exchanged awkward chit chat most of the time I was on my phone.

Little did I know over the next couple of weeks I would meet some of the most amazing and awesome Jewish people I have ever met.

As I sit here blogging from the reception room of our last sleeping destination, I can't help but remember all of the funny and special memories I have acquired since arriving in Israel.

Memories like singing hava nagila full volume while walking through the pitch black ancient water tunnel created by king David's men thousands of years ago. Or putting my note on the western wall for the first time (this is my first time being in Israel).

The mwise man once said, "it's not the years in your life that matter, it's the life in those years mean the most."

In this case 'the years' would be all the things we have done in Israel. For example, tours, hikes etc. And 'the life' would be the memories I have experienced with the other group members. Some sad, some happy, and some completely random.

50 years from now I probably won't remember hiking down the snake trail from the Masada or getting a tour of the church of the holy sepulcher, but I will remember the little things with the people that mattered most to me during my trip to Israel.

Things like getting beat by David's sock in a plastic bag and singing songs with people while hiking down the snake trail. Things like realizing my ray bans were water proof while splashing around the cold refreshing freshwater pools in ein gedi, things like realizing that I don't have a connection with god after placing my note on the western wall.

That's what this trip is for me. A collection of little things, some good, some bad, which I will bring back with me to the states and carry with me for many years to come.

Although we still have a six more days in Israel, I can't help but recall all the fun and memorable times I have spent with some of the most inspirational and intelligent Jewish people i have had the honor to spend my first time in Israel with.

As I sit here in this loud uncomfortable reception room, I feel like and eternity has passed since the first time I met the group and now.

Although I remember how shy I was upon seeing my group members for the first time now, 50 years from now  it will be forgotten. As they say, in life you don't remember the things that made you feel bad, rather you remember the things that made you feel good. These good memories I have created in Israel, I have to cherish forever.

Johnny Scher

No comments:

Post a Comment