Tuesday, July 8, 2014

It's the climb

-- Lily Rebecca Buder

Three am. Great. In most situations I would've been angry and exhausted, but not yesterday. I bounded out of bed and before I knew it I was on a night tide through the desert with one location in mind, Masada. After a quick safety briefing, (because you know, cliffs) then we were up the roman trail. I had expected the hike to be long and gruelling but it was over in less than thirty minutes. Although there were many other groups up there I was able to zone out and just feel the moment.

I had never seen a sunrise like the one on Masada.

One group began to play here comes the sun,  a few boys behind me sang am yisrael chai. I know that everyone up there had different stories, different lives but we all had one reason for being drawn there. Everyone knows the story of Masada and it's tragic ending but when you think about it, it was the last time the Jewish people controlled themselves until 1948. What better way to celebrate the renewal of our Jewish homeland than by watching the renewal of the new day. As the sun goes down at night it  may seem hope is lost, but without fail the sun will rise every morning like the Jewish people. We will always rise.

No comments:

Post a Comment