Saturday, June 28, 2014

6 years later...

The Kotel

6 years ago, I stood in front of a Wall. I had no emotion and I did not feel there was any significance to it. I stood in front of this same Wall yesterday, however, instead of not feeling at emotions, I cried.

We got to the entrance of the Kotel and discussed the amount of time we would need at the Wall. We decided on 45 minutes. I did not understand why we would need 45 minutes to stand at a Wall, but I didn't complain.

After taking around one hundred pictures, we started walking up towards the Wall. There may have been 50 other women there, but I immediately felt as though it was just me and the Wall.

I began to approach it, slowly and tentatively. I don't know why I was so scared. As I got closer, my eyes started to well up. I couldn't explain it.  There was something there, something powerful and something real. The pain that the Jews felt when they lost the temple now was my pain. I was
connected to the history of the Jewish people.

I ended up wanting to spend more time. Not wanting to leave. I've grown up since I was 10 years old. I understand the hype. I understand the significance. And I understand what it means to be a Jew standing in front if the holiest place in the world. The Kotel.

--Sydney Sussman

No comments:

Post a Comment